buttons

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Summer Stitches #2



Strawberries and Memorial Day weekend and summer begins.

   My grandmother made what she called strawberry shortcake by first smashing the daylights out of the strawberries and adding lots of sugar...set aside.  Then, and heres the thing, she made pie crust, rolled it out, cut into strips, sprinkled with sugar, and baked on a cookie sheet.  She then broke up the pie crust and poured the strawberries and syrup on top.  Imagine my confusion when I saw those sponge cakes in the grocery for strawberry shortcake.  I wondered if anyone else had strawberry shortcake with pie crust.  



 Strawberry Quilt Block





A sweet dress for my niece, Eleanor Elizabeth


Coconut
     This has kept me and the dogs very entertained this week. There are some things that might not have gotten done.



-Nena

   
    Watching my mother work on her strawberry blocks this week and with the fresh strawberries in our fridge, I got in the mood to do something with them.
    However, since I bake for a job, I didn't want to do the obvious strawberry cake or strawberry shortcake options.  Then I remembered that at the college cafeteria they always had three different options of fruit/ veggie infused water.  So I ran to the grocery store and grabbed some lemons and mint leaves and layered them with ice in a pitcher  along with some chopped strawberries and poured water into it.  After letting sit in the fridge overnight, we had refreshing flavored water that was a nice alternative to soda.  


-Lulu

4 comments:

  1. What a very summery post! I never drink soda but I do drink water, I need to try that recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful hand stitching! I don't see that often anymore. Thanks for sharing your great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun post!!! Strawberries are my favorite...thanks for the embroidery pattern!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stitcheries are so pretty! I love the sound of your grandmothers strawberry shortcake, I bet it was decicious!!

    ReplyDelete