buttons

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Summer Stitches



  As the weather gets warm, I want to slow down, sit and stitch.  Embroidery always seems to make life a little more peaceful.  I designed this little square and as I was stitching, the ideas kept flowing.



    Now, I have 12 sweet blocks that I want to share with you.  I'll post a couple each wednesday. 



  I did a fabric pull for this little quilt and then I chose embroidery 
thread that matched my fabric.
  I cut my fabric larger than I need and cut down the square to the desired size after the embroidery is done.  This makes it much easier to hoop up the fabric.  
  I use a layer of muslim behind my fabric and stitch through 2 layers of fabric.  This allows the stitches to sink in and gives the look I desire.
  I have used 2 strands of floss.  The stitches I used are outline stitch, back stitch, and french knots.  
  I trace the design onto the fabric with a brown pigma pen. Then before I embroider the design, I shade it with crayons.  This gives the shapes so much more depth.  If you color the shapes with a white crayon first, the crayons will go on the fabrics smoothly and give soft shading.

  Next week I'll post 2 new blocks and a suggestion for quilt lay-out.



3 comments:

  1. That embroidery is lovely! So cute. What a perfect block centre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the simplicity of this! It has a vintage feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Embroidery is so fun - you can draw anything you like and then stitch it! I wish I did more - this inspires me, though...

    ReplyDelete